Later on, with the passage of time and changed scenario of Agriculture the need for further Research on Soil, Water, Plant Crop, Production related constrains involving use of organic manures at higher rate in Agriculture for maintenance of soil health, some additional new research and extension activities are being taken up. Some of the additional Research, Extension and other activities which are being carried out at present are listed as below.
1. To provide the advisory services to farmers for soil, water, manures fertilizers and plants analysis.
2. To provide on spot solutions to the problems encountered by farmers under field condition in relation to soil, water, crop and manure.
3. Establishment and strengthening the “Central Instrumentation Laboratory” with modern instrumental facility, glassware, plastic ware and other laboratory items.
4. Analysis of Soil samples received under “soil health card programme” in the department and necessary reporting for preparation of soil health card.
5. To analyze the sample of farmers field which are allotted to austees of the Narmada sardar sarovar project.
6. Researches related to sustainable agriculture and organic farming.
7. Research as well as extension advisory work to farmers on the application of fertilizer/ manures to banana and papaya for higher yield under “National Horticultural Mission project” entitled “Establishment of Leaf and soil nutrient diagnosis laboratory for Banana and Papaya grown in South Gujarat” which was sanctioned and started operative in the department in 2009-10 with an one time grant of Rs. 20, 00,000/-.
8. Research work on National Agricultural Innovation project (III) entitled “Integrated Project for Research on Development process and Sustainability of Livelihood in Selected Disadvantaged Districts of Gujarat State” which is funded by World Bank and being implemented by department of Soil Science, NAU, Navsari in the disadvantaged district of Dangs on behalf of the consortium partner NAU. (Details of NAIP-III activities are given separately below)
Apart from above Research and extension work, Research Scientist (Soil Science) and Assistant Research Scientist of this department are also involved in P.G teaching and some regular research experiments as below which are being carried out in the department as ongoing research experiment in collaboration with other departments.
1. Potash status of soil as affected by intensive cropping with medium and high fertility levels with and without applied potash in paddy-wheat-green gram crop rotation.
2. Studies on the effect of different enriched FYM vis –a-vis vermicompost biocompost, and RDF on the yield of brinjal (var. Surati Ravaiya, Gulabi)
3. *Effect of soil conditioners and nitrogen levels on new sugarcane variety
4. Soil and land restoration planning of six Villasges of Dang district situated at hilly undulating terrain
5. Soil resource information for land capability classification (LCC) and fertility capability classification (FCC) of six villages situated at hilly undulating terrain of Dangs district.
6. Analysis of soil and plant samples collected from farmers\' field of Kamrej taluka of Surat district for fixing nutrition norms for Banana and papaya under Horticulture Mission Project.